Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Akita-ken in Gifu-ken

Random post alert. Very random.

I've been thinking about dogs in Japan lately. I've seen alot of them in my time here. In fact, I saw more in Tokyo than I see here in Gifu most days. In Tokyo, they were all little 'foo-foo' dogs- you know, pomeranians, daschunds (sorry Sarah), toy poodles, usually dressed in some kind of jacket and with a 'hair-band' or two. Undeniably cute, but city dogs, if you know what I mean. Reminded me of the poodles you see in Paris, eating at the table at a cafe with their rich French mistress. (I really did see that in Paris once.) Walking through Tokyo, I spotted many weird and wonderful canine characters, including:

A pomeranian peering out of a Gucci backpack...


Four identical miniature daschunds wearing different coloured jackets like some kind of dog boy-band, all on leashes (one is being carried in the photo below)...


More daschunds at a 'dog cafe'... the owners were enjoying the experience way more than the dogs.


And, although photographic evidence is lacking, I spotted a smokin' hot leather-clad Japanese yakuza-boyband member-pimp holding a tiny chihuaha-type dog wearing a pink bow.

But in Gifu, good old country-bumpkin land, the dogs are straight-down-the-line REAL dogs. Introducing the Akita-ken. ('ken' is the another pronounciation of 'inu', meaning dog.) I just wikipedia-ed them, so of course now I'm an expert. Anyway, I always thought these dogs were cute. They look kind of like a cross between a fox, wolf and dingo. Their tails are curly and they're really alert.

They seem to be the national dog of Japan. Because you know Japan has a national everything. They were originally bred in the north of Japan as bear-hunting dogs, so you know they're agressive underneath all that cuteness. Just like all things Japanese, there have been attempts to keep the breed 'pure'. Akitas were also used as guard dogs for the Emperor and his children, so they must have some kind of 'sacred' connotations too. And normal people used them as babysitters for their children too!

Japan's most famous dog, Hachiko, was an Akita. Yes, Hachiko- the most valiant and loyal embodiment of man's best friend since Lassie. The legend says that he met his master at Shibuya station, Tokyo, every day. When his master died, Hachiko returned to the station every day for the rest of his life to wait for him. So now Hachiko has been immortalized as a statue outside Shibuya station. It's become a very popular meeting point. On my recent trip to Tokyo, I couldn't get near it, it was so crowded!

So anyway, 99 percent of the dogs I see here in Gifu-ken are Akita-ken. (Hard-working down-to-earth dogs for a hard-working down-to-earth place, I guess.) They seem to embody the Japanese spirit somehow. And not least because their temperament sounds pretty much like the national character! With only a little imagination, I'm sure anyone familiar with Japanese society can see the parallels:

"They are naturally wary of unknown people and animals and should be well socialised to avoid undesirable aggression. They are highly pack oriented, thus, isolating them from a social environment causes them great stress. Akitas are known to be very quiet dogs, only barking "when there is something to bark about". An Akita is not likely to shower affection on someone that is not a member of his family or a close friend that he sees frequently, and can be extremely aloof. The dogs are known for their loyalty, and a pet Akita will patiently follow its master from room to room, without ever getting underfoot."

I'm not sure about the 'underfoot' bit, but I'm sure it's a metaphor for something! ;)

Anyway, enough rambling. Woof!

No comments: