Wednesday, February 6, 2008

I Found The Twilight Zone in Tokyo

Two random, pretty weird things happened to me in Tokyo on my recent trips there, and I just have to get them down.

1. The scene: New Years Eve, sick in bed at a cheap hotel because I got food poisoning from KFC! On my 10th visit to the bathroom, I am sitting in the cubicle when I become aware that the Indian guys from down the hall (who have been partying in their room for several hours) have decided to also take a trip to the bathroom before they venture out for NY celebrations. It suddenly occurs to me that this is a unisex toilet, and there are urinals just outside my door. So I vow to remain silent and let them do their business. One by one, they come in, take care of the task at hand (I am unfortunately privy to exactly what that involves), and leave, taking their sweet time! After each one leaves I am SURE it must be over, but no- another one shuffles in. I am getting more and more annoyed and embarrassed by the second, not just because it's not exactly pleasant listening to the tinkling, but also because I am afraid if they find out I've been in there all along, who knows how they might react. Just when I think it can't get much worse, drunk Indian guy number 8 comes in, warbling 'My Heart Will Go On'. Yes, the Celine Dion ballad. In an Indian accent. At least it drowned out the other sounds.

2. My friend Leanne and I are walking across a busy street in Akihabara, the area of Tokyo where all the weird and wonderful newest technological advances first go on sale. Just as we reach the other side, we both feel someone rubbing our heads firmly and vigorously. I am stunned for a couple of seconds and the possibilities of who it might be run through my head. Leanne's friend Yota, who we met for dinner last night? His friend Simon, who we also met? We turn around and see a middle-aged Japanese guy in glasses running away (in what can only be described as a 'frolicking' manner), half giggling, half-panicked. It sounds funny, but it left me outraged. A complete invasion of... everything. And people around us, although they had noticed, didn't bat an eyelid because the Japanese are masters of the 'bystander effect'. This angered me even more. Looking back, yes, it's funny... but unsettling, because he could have done way more than just mess up our hair.

No comments: