Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Token 'deep' post

It has hit me recently that I really need to be aware of not falling into a kind of ‘rut’ here in Japan . I'm only here for a short time- initially I thought one year, but now that has been lengthened to two, because the more I see the more I feel the need to see. By ‘rut’ I mean taking things for granted, and feeling like you’re going through the same routine week after week. It might seem like it would be hard to fall into a monotonous routine being on the JET Programme, being challenged every day in a foreign culture, traveling all over the country on weekends… and yes, it is an exciting life in many respects. In fact, up until now (and certainly before I arrived in Japan ) I myself thought that my life for the next year would be a whirlwind of anxiety, excitement and exhilaration. But even traveling can get to be a bit of ‘same old, same old’. I guess it’s human nature. We adapt to anything. The alien becomes foreign, the foreign becomes normal, and eventually, some of the normal becomes boring. The thing is, as much as I enjoy my weekend trips to places like Nara , Tokyo , Kyoto , Hida, Hiroshima etc., and as much as I look forward to the next Japanese seasonal matsuri (festival), since the beginning of this year, I’ve become aware that some of the ‘spark’ has gone from these otherwise strong feelings of enjoyment.

I know it’s a result of just getting used to how things are here- even, or especially, the little details. Now each experience here is tinged with a little bit of sadness/regret that nothing will ever be completely novel or surprising to me here from now on, at least not in the way that it was a few months ago. I guess it can be compared to growing up, becoming an ‘adult’ and losing that childhood innocence people are always talking about. I don’t think I can ever look upon anything in Japan- from the temples to the landscapes, to the people, to the kids, to the food, to the crazy fashions - again the same way I did when I first arrived here.
Ah, that’s life, and I think the Japanese have it right with their concept of wabi-sabi.

Then again, maybe instead of looking at all this like I’ve reached the end of some kind of journey of discovery, I should realize that I’m moving into a different phase of appreciating Japan… maybe less focused on the superficial.

No comments: